Collage in Motion
This free program covers more than sixty years of groundbreaking cinema that shares surrealism’s affinity for working with paper to create vibrant landscapes of the mind. Whether manipulating found materials or animating the artist’s own cutouts, these works are at once artisanal in their practice, avant-garde in their aesthetics, and often subversive in their themes.
Full program (all films 35mm, unless noted otherwise):
- Recreation 1956/color/2 min. | Directed by Robert Breer
- See, Saw, Seems 1959/b&w/10 min./16mm | Directed Stan Vanderbeek
- Labyrinth 1963/color/15 min./16mm | Directed by Jan Lenica
- Our Lady of the Sphere 1968/color/10 min. | Directed by Lawrence Jordan
- Frank Film 1973/color/9 min. | Directed by Frank and Caroline Mouris
- Mirror Animations 1979/color/11 min./16mm | Directed by Harry Smith
- Triumph of the Wild 2008/color/10 min. | Directed by Martha Colburn
- Unsubscribe #1: Special Offer Inside 2010/color/5 min./16mm | Directed by Jodie Mack
Bing Theater | Free admission, tickets required | Tickets: 323 857-6010 or reserve online.