China, Yuan dynasty (1271–1368), second half of the 13th century
Inner Mongolia Museum, Hohhot
[click images for full object view]
This impressive dragon’s head, which is both
a decorative and a protective figure, embellished one of the buildings
at Shangdu (“Xanadu”) [map],
the summer capital that Khubilai Khan completed in 1258. This type
of architectural decoration became popular throughout the Mongol
empire in Asia, as indicated by similar objects found in the former
territories of the Golden Horde.
The L-shaped, roughly carved rear section
of the stone was set into the wall, securing the finely carved head
of a hornless dragon.