Membership Update FAQ
LACMA Membership | Frequently Asked Questions
To learn more about LACMA's membership program, please read below.
- What do my membership dues support?
- Is LACMA membership tax deductible?
- Why are some membership levels not tax deductible?
- I just renewed my membership. What does this mean for me?
- How does the LACMA parking pass work?
- How many membership cards do I get?
- I'm a Dual-level member or above. Can the second person on my membership visit without me? Can they bring a guest?
- How many general admission guest passes do I receive with my membership and how do they work?
- As a member at the Friend level ($250) or above, may I really come back to specially ticketed exhibitions as often as I like?
- Does LACMA membership grant reciprocal membership benefits at any other museums?
- Are there any other changes to the benefits?
- What are art councils and how do I get involved?
- What is LACMA’s global arts travel program?
- What is the annual Summer Evening?
- Can you describe the curator-guided tours a bit more?
- What is NexGen?
- How do I sign up for a Student membership?
Q: What do my membership dues support?
A: Your membership dues support exhibitions, concerts, classes, free admission for kids, and community outreach programs. Members make all these things happen—thank you!
- Community outreach programs reaching more than 350,000 people annually
- More than 1,900 free gallery tours for the general public
- Free docent-led tours reaching more than 51,000 schoolchildren throughout the Los Angeles area
- NexGen, our FREE membership program for kids seventeen and under
- Free general admission for all on the second Tuesday of each month, and free general admission to L.A. County residents Monday through Friday after 3 pm
- 43 free Family Sundays each year, reaching more than 18,000 kids and families
- Conservation of more than 115,000 works in our collection
- Evenings for Educators program and other professional development programs for teachers that help bring art into the classrooms
- Our incredibly popular free Friday night Jazz at LACMA program
- The Maya Mobile and Ancient World Mobile—our “art trucks” that travel to schools and teach more than 9,000 kids every year about art
Individual ($60): 0
Dual ($110): 0
Friend ($250): $100
Supporter ($600): $300
Partner ($1,200): $625
Film Club ($50): 0
Parking Pass ($60): 0
Q: Why are some membership levels not tax deductible?
A: The IRS requires that we subtract the value of certain benefits from the full gift amount since the donor will receive benefits that have monetary value, such as guest passes, admission to specially ticketed exhibitions, catalogues, and special events.
Q: I just renewed my membership. What does this mean for me?
A: You’ll receive an updated membership card in the mail, with your new expiration date, in just a few weeks. In the meantime, you may still visit LACMA and use your benefits—we’ll make a note in our system that you recently renewed!
Q: How does the LACMA parking pass work?
A: Members at the Dual level ($110) and above may purchase a LACMA annual parking pass for $60 at any LACMA Ticket Office or by calling 323 857-6010. With the parking pass, you can park one car for free whenever you visit LACMA for an entire year! The LACMA parking lots are for LACMA visits only. Once you’ve purchased the pass, you may simply stop by the Ticket Office on your way to the galleries to get your free validation. Your details are in the system at the Ticket Office—there are no physical passes that you need to carry.
Q: How many membership cards do I get?
A: If you are a Student or Individual-level member, you will receive one membership card with your name and membership expiration date on it. If you are a Dual-level member or above, you will receive two cards. If you have specified a second member on your membership record, the second card will have their name on it. However, if you have not specified a secondary person, your second card will read "Guest of (your name)".
Q: I'm a Dual-level member or above. Can the second person on my membership visit without me? Can they bring a guest?
A: Your Dual-level or above membership grants admission for two people per day. The second member on your record can visit LACMA at any time, and you do not need to be present. If you have named a second member on your membership record, they may visit LACMA and present their membership card or their photo ID to pick up tickets for their visit. If you have not named a second member on your membership record, your guest must have the "Guest of" card in-hand when picking up tickets. (See question above.)
Alternatively, if you are visiting the museum without the second person listed on your membership, you may use your card to bring a guest for free. The second member may do the same with their card, if they are visiting and you are not present. In other words, a total of two people may visit LACMA for free, per day. If both people listed on a membership are visiting on the same day, and they are bringing guests, the guests will need to pay for admission. Members may purchase up to two discounted general admission tickets per visit.
Q: How many general admission guest passes do I receive with my membership and how do they work?
A: Friend-level ($250) members receive two general admission guest passes; Supporter-level ($600) members receive four, and Partner-level ($1,200) members receive six. They will be mailed to you in your welcome packet when you join or renew. Members must accompany their guests on visits.
Q: As a member at the Friend level ($250) or above, may I really come back to specially ticketed exhibitions as often as I like?
A: Yes! Now instead of receiving just two free tickets, you may visit select specially ticketed exhibitions as often as you like. Please note, memberships are not transferable, and you may be asked to show a picture ID at the ticket office. Limit of two tickets per visit.
Q: Does LACMA membership grant reciprocal membership benefits at any other museums?
A: Yes! At the Friend-level ($250) and above, you will receive benefits at 25 other museums nationwide, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Art Institute of Chicago, Seattle Art Museum, and more! Learn more.
Q: What are art councils and how do I get involved?
A: LACMA's ten art councils have been essential to establishing the museum's reputation as a world-class arts institution. Over the course of the museum's short history, these councils—each supporting a specific area of the collection—have acquired or helped acquire nearly 5,000 works of art for the museum, including some of its most iconic masterpieces. Learn more.
Q: What is LACMA’s global arts travel program?
A: LACMA’s art councils have enjoyed travel with LACMA curators and staff for years, and now we are expanding the program to include all members at the Partner level and above. You’ll travel in style to museums and private collections throughout the world, with experts in the field.
Q: Can you describe the curator-guided tours a bit more?
A: There will be two curator-guided tours each year for Partner level members. These tours will be led by LACMA curators and will give members an intimate view into special exhibitions at the museum.
Q: What is NexGen?
A: NexGen is a free membership program for children 17 and under. This membership program focuses on bringing youth to the museum and engaging them in arts education activities. NexGen members continue to receive discounts on studio classes and art camps, but do not receive a discount in the museum store. Museum store discounts are reserved for members at the Student level and above. Learn more.
Q: How do I sign up for a Student membership?
A: Full-time undergraduate students currently enrolled in college are eligible for the student membership. Visit a Ticket Office and show proof of enrollment and provide your expected graduation date to join.